Chelsea reject Manchester City offer for Terry
Friday 03 July 2009
Chelsea have rejected a second offer from Manchester City for their captain John Terry.
The size of the offer made by City was not revealed in a statement from the Blues this morning, however, the south-west London club sought to end any further interest saying they would "not entertain any conversation on the subject".
The news comes as the latest rebuff for City, who have already had a bid to sign Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o knocked back this summer.
City made an offer for the 28-year-old defender last season when they encountered similar short shrift from the Blues, who this morning reiterated the England captain's desire to stay at Stamford Bridge.
"We can confirm we have completely rejected an offer from Manchester City for John Terry," a statement on the club's website read.
"It was made clear to City, for a second time following an approach last season, that we would not entertain any conversation on the subject.
"At the time John also reiterated his total commitment to Chelsea.
"We would like to make it clear, and will not do so again, that John is not for sale."
Terry has made no secret of his commitment to the Chelsea cause and is relishing the challenges next season will bring under their new Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti.
"Next season we need to make sure we start a lot better than we did last year and really push for the Premier League because I would love to win that trophy again, as well as being back in the mix for the Champions League," the England captain said.
"It is important that we realise Ancelotti is going to be here for a good few years, he is going to bring in his own players, staff and training methods.
"We need to adapt to that and move Chelsea in the right direction."
Ancelotti is Chelsea's fifth manager in the space of two years.
Terry added: "The players have coped with it very well [having so many managers].
"It is important that we get a bit of stability under Ancelotti for two or three years.
"We must get a settled team and a settled manager and really build and move things in the right direction."
Chelsea yesterday confirmed the arrival of young goalkeeper Ross Turnbull, who was out of contract at Middlesbrough.
The fee for striker Daniel Sturridge will be decided by a tribunal, while Chelsea are expected to complete a deal for CSKA Moscow's £18m-rated Yuri Zhirkov ahead of Ancelotti's first official press conference on Monday morning.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Manuel Pellegrini is dismissed
Arsene Wenger on Francis Coquelin: 'You don't have all the qualities but you have to express what you're good at'
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'