Chelsea sign Brazilian Mineiro
Wednesday 24 September 2008
Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has bolstered his squad by signing Brazilian midfielder Mineiro until the end of the season.
The 33-year-old, who has won 24 caps, was a free agent having been released by Hertha Berlin at the end of last season.
Chelsea have been short of defensive midfield cover with Claude Makelele having left the club in the summer and Michael Essien sidelined with a serious knee injury.
"He is a player that I need because I lost Michael Essien for six months. I have one midfielder like him, John Mikel Obi," Scolari told the club's website chelseafc.com.
elephant appealPrince William signs up for our charity appeal
elephant appealSo says man jailed for cutting off dead elephant's tusks
booksWe examine the best titles for teens
scienceResearchers teach border collie to understand sentences using more than 1,000 words
booksA Christmas story in six parts
travelWill high-value tourism help the workshops of this Renaissance city?
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'