Chris Smalling's hot tub catches fire whilst Manchester United defender is playing poker - firefighters called to blaze

The England defender was unhurt

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Firefighters were called to the home of Manchester United defender Chris Smalling last night after his hot tub caught fire whilst he was out playing poker.

An official suggested that an electrical fault caused the blaze, which occurred in the garden of the England international's home in Bowdon, Altrincham.

A statement from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that a crew from Altrincham Fire Station had attended after police initially reported the blaze.

The statement added that: "There was nobody in the house at the time of the incident."

It's understood that Smalling was playing poker with friends when the fire broke out. He posted a photograph on Instagram earlier in the evening which read: "Lads Night! #pokernight #championsleague."

 

Watch manager Stuart France said: "Police were in the area when they spotted smoke and reported a fire to our control centre. When we arrived it was quite a large fire involving a jacuzzi and decking, which could have easily become something more serious.

"The police officers who were at the scene used a garden hose on the fire and when we arrived we extinguished it using a hose reel."

 

He added: "The most likely cause was an accidental electrical fault."

Comments