Collymore may leave Leicester 'within days'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The Leicester manager, Peter Taylor, insisted yesterday that the future of his controversial striker Stan Collymore will be resolved "within the next few days".

The Leicester manager, Peter Taylor, insisted yesterday that the future of his controversial striker Stan Collymore will be resolved "within the next few days".

Taylor dismissed reports that Collymore had already agreed to be given a cut-price £250,000 pay-off to leave the Foxes as "pure speculation". But it is becoming increasingly likely that the transfer-listed Collymore's days at Filbert Street are numbered.

He has been the subject of an investigation by Taylor, the new stand-in England coach, into a dressing-room argument with his fellow striker Trevor Benjamin at half-time during a reserve match with Charlton nine days ago. Once Taylor has completed his inquiries he will put his recommendations to the club's board of directors.

Meanwhile, Collymore has been told to stay away from the club until the matter is resolved.

Taylor, who describes himself as a "forgiving manager" provided players are prepared to put in the effort, was hoping that Collymore would become a major part of his plans when he took over at Filbert Street in the summer.

Taylor said: "There will be a decision on Collymore within the next few days. I've been looking at everything that happened last Monday. I wanted to be exactly sure what happened."

Collymore, whose contract with the Foxes runs out in June, has already rejected three loan moves to First Division clubs. It is almost certain that the former Liverpool and Aston Villa player will end his career abroad - a view he expressed to Taylor when asking for a transfer a month ago.

Carlton Palmer is having talks with Huddersfield Town about becoming their new player-manager. The Coventry City midfielder is on the shortlist for the vacancy and may be offered the job of taking over the First Division's bottom club at the weekend.

Palmer starts a suspension in the Premiership at the weekend, but he would be available to help Huddersfield's relegation battle after that.

Dundee United have released six South American players introduced to the club by the former chairman Jim McLean. Marcelino Galoppo and Pablo Passuto have returned to Argentina, with the Uruguayan Carlos Marcora and the Honduran pair, Francisco Ramirez and Reynaldo Clavasquin, also on their way home, alongside an unnamed Venezuelan defender.

But United have kept the Argentinian striker Gustavo Fuentes, with the club's manager, Alex Smith, hoping that the presence of fellow South Americans at Dundee will help his settling-in period.

Dundee are set to replace Rob Douglas with the Bologna goalkeeper Marco Roccati. The 25-year-old is currently the No 2 choice at the Italian club, but the Dens Park player-manager, Ivano Bonetti, is confident that Roccati has the necessary experience for the Scottish Premier League.

Comments