Collymore walk-out may be his last at Leicester

Click to follow

Stan Collymore's career at Leicester City could be over after he walked out of a reserve match at Filbert Street following a half-time altercation with one of his team-mates.

Stan Collymore's career at Leicester City could be over after he walked out of a reserve match at Filbert Street following a half-time altercation with one of his team-mates.

Collymore's first appearance since going on the transfer list three weeks ago - in the Premier Reserve League South game with Charlton Athletic - ended in dramatic circumstances on Monday night. An angry confrontation with one of his team-mates is believed to have started during the first half and spilled over into the dressing room at the interval.

The two again clashed in the dressing room and then in the treatment room before Collymore headed out of the ground.

The Leicester manager, Peter Taylor, who had been watching the match, was called to the dressing room at half-time but did not witness the incident. Ironically, the former England Under-21 coach had been due to meet Collymore and his advisors yesterday to have talks over his future.

The slender lifeline with which Collymore has been hanging onto his future with the Foxes may have reached breaking point with this latest incident. Paul Mace, the director of media and communications at Leicester, said yesterday: "We can confirm we are investigating a half-time dressing room incident which took place at last night's reserve game at Filbert Street. We will not be in a position to comment further until the investigation has been completed."

Taylor, who refused to comment on the incident yesterday, was keen to try and bring Collymore back into the fold and earlier on Monday evening had spoken on a local radio forum of wishing to have a fully focused Collymore as part of his squad. But this latest incident may signal the end for a player who has courted controversy throughout his career with Nottingham Forest, Liverpool and Aston Villa.

Taylor had indicated that Collymore's days at the club were numbered by granting his transfer request just three days before a Uefa Cup tie with Red Star Belgrade.

A performance by Collymore against Everton which Taylor described as "unacceptable for a professional footballer" angered him deeply and he was left entirely out of the squad for the Red Star game.

The former England Under-21 coach attacked Collymore's attitude and level of commitment after his demands for a new and improved contract had been rejected a week before the start of the season. Taylor claimed he was not match fit and had put on a stone in weight.

Manchester United are to loan their exciting Northern Ireland international striker David Healy to the Dutch club Fortuna Sittard. Healy is keen to leave Old Trafford for experience and their manager Sir Alex Ferguson will allow him to go to the Netherlands for the rest of the season.

Ferguson had rejected approaches from several English clubs for Healy, but the Dutch side claimed last night that he is joining them immediately, although Healy had said he was not keen to move to the Netherlands and would prefer to fight for a first-team place. "It is a case of getting my head down and working hard and hopefully impressing in the reserves," he said.

Everton have confirmed that they have completed the signing of the Hearts defender Gary Naysmith for £1.75m and the Israeli winger Idan Tal. The Goodison Park club's manager, Walter Smith, secured the 21-year-old Naysmith despite competition from Coventry and the player has now passed his medical and been added to Smith's squad for Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

Michael Owen should have recovered by the weekend from the head injury which saw him taken to hospital during Sunday's match against Derby. The Liverpool and England striker had six stitches inserted in a head wound after a collision with the Derby defender Chris Riggott, and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Arsenal are hoping to capture the Georgian teenager Zurab Khizanishvili. Their manager, Arsÿne Wenger, has invited the 19-year-old defender to Highbury in the hope of beating Bordeaux and Lecce to his signature.

Comments