Cruciate damage confirmed for Skrtel
Monday 06 October 2008
Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel will discover in the next 24 hours how long he is expected to be out injured after a scan revealed posterior cruciate ligament damage in his right knee.
The 23-year-old Slovakia international was given oxygen and left the field on a stretcher during Liverpool's 3-2 win over Manchester City after he fell awkwardly on the edge of his own penalty area.
Skrtel, who was signed by Rafael Benitez in January from Zenit St Petersburg, has forged a solid partnership with Jamie Carragher at the heart of a Liverpool defence which has conceded only four goals in seven Barclays Premier League matches this season.
"Martin underwent a scan this morning which showed damage to the posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee," club spokesman Ian Cotton told www.liverpoolfc.tv
"He will see a specialist tomorrow to assess the extent of the injury and will then have an accurate idea of the timescales involved before he is back playing again."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Latest in Sport
Sam Wallace: David Moyes is paying the price of United’s virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch after Mesut Ozil's opener
I will not be forced into panic buys at Manchester United, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis