Darren Bent claims he can handle expectations
Darren Bent insists he can handle the pressure of being Aston Villa's record signing after completing his £18million move from Sunderland.
Bent has signed a four-and-a-half year contract and will make his debut in Saturday's home Barclays Premier League clash with title-chasing Manchester City.
It is the third big money move of his career after moving from Charlton to Tottenham for £16.5million and then an initial £10million from Spurs to the Black Cats.
Bent has smashed Villa's previous transfer record of £12million for James Milner (Newcastle) and Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough).
But the 26-year-old believes he is now experienced enough to deal with the expectations and demands on his shoulders.
Bent said: "When I first went to Spurs, and it happened there (moving for a big transfer fee), I was so nervous.
"It did play a massive part in my mind and it probably got me down at times. But I'm older and more wise now.
"I've played a few more seasons in the Premier League and it just comes with the territory now.
"I just have to get on with it, put it to the back of my mind and get on with it, not forget what I do, and try and perform as best as I can." Bent is also adamant he has moved Villa for "footballing reasons."
Former Sunderland and Villa striker Kevin Phillips claimed Bent's decision to quit the Black Cats "boils down to pure money."
When asked about Phillips's claims, Bent said: "Everyone has different opinions about things.
"I could could have gone to West Ham for more money when I left Charlton but chose Tottenham for footballing reasons. It is the same here with Villa."
Bent added: "People have asked why I swapped a top six club for one currently in the bottom four.
"But I believe Villa are in a false position, they have been sixth for the past three seasons, and it is a new challenge for me.
"Villa are a massive club and, as soon as I knew they were interested, I wanted to be part of it and help get them back to where they belong."
Villa manager Gerard Houllier vowed key players Ashley Young and Stewart Downing would not be sold during the January transfer window.
He said: "Ashley Young and Stewart Downing are not for sale, simple as that.
"They won't be leaving. We have had no bids for them."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Which player sells the most shirts in the Premier League?
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
Chelsea's best XI of the season so far: Petr Cech has been better than Thibaut Courtois
Chelsea's Eden Hazard, Arsenal's Mesut Ozil and Manchester City's Jesus Navas are the three best attacking midfielders in Europe in 2015
- 1 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers