Darren Bent hands in transfer request
Monday 17 January 2011
Aston Villa will have to come up with in excess of £20m to persuade Sunderland to part company with striker Darren Bent.
The 26-year-old England international stunned Wearside today when it emerged that he had submitted a written transfer request after yesterday's 1-1 derby draw with Newcastle.
Sunderland confirmed the move in a brief statement which said: "The club can confirm that it received a written transfer request from Darren Bent following yesterday's Wear-Tyne derby match."
However, Press Association Sport understands that the Black Cats have not yet accepted Bent's request, nor a bid of £18million from Aston Villa which reportedly could rise to as much as £24million.
Furthermore, it is understood that they would not even consider doing business for a man who cost them an initial £10million in August 2009 unless any offer significantly exceeded the £20million mark.
Manager Steve Bruce had predicted that the January transfer window would pass without major incident on Wearside, with some of the players who have spent the first half of the season out on loan possibly leaving for good while he attempted to strengthen his hand with a couple of loan signings.
He has played down speculation linking him with the likes of Adam Johnson, Charles N'Zogbia and Stewart Downing, all players in whom he has more than a passing interest - and it is understood that the Villa winger has not been offered to him as part of the bid currently on the table - while he has dismissed reports he will try to sign Michael Owen from Manchester United.
However, Bruce has been rocked by Bent's decision to submit a transfer request, and not for the first time.
It is believed the former Ipswich, Charlton and Tottenham striker asked for a move during the summer, but the club managed to persuade him to stay and also keep the news under wraps.
The Black Cats were this afternoon considering their options as they weighed up whether to cash in on last season's leading scorer, or to hold him to the remaining two years of his contract.
But what is certain is that, if they do decide to let him leave, they will not accept anything less than their valuation of him.
Bent scored 25 goals during his first season in the north-east and was widely considered unfortunate not to have made the England squad for last summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.
He has 11 to date for the current season, but has looked short of his best form in recent months and has scored only one Barclays Premier League goal in eight appearances since the end of November.
Bent made little impression during yesterday's 1-1 draw with Newcastle as he was effectively marked by Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson and it was strike partner Asamoah Gyan, who replaced him as the club's record signing when he made his £13million-plus switch to Wearside in August last year, who snatched a draw with a fortuitous equaliser.
Should owner Ellis Short and chairman Niall Quinn decide to take the money, they would face a race against the clock to replace Bent with less than a fortnight of the transfer window remaining.
The Black Cats have made an offer for Paris St Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon after failing in a loan bid, and have looked into a temporary deal for Inter Milan's Sulley Muntari.
However, they would have to step up their recruitment drive significantly in the wake of Bent's departure if they are to maintain their current top-six standing and hopes of a first ever qualification for Europe via the league.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Follow the latest news and score as Chelsea take on Maribor at Stamford Bridge.
Company reveals $542m investment in start-up building 'a rocket ship for the mind"
Singer says the track was 'force-fed down people's throats'
Latest in Sport
Luis Suarez: Lionel Messi is better than Cristiano Ronaldo
Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from spine injury after doing somersault celebration
Arsenal vs Hull: Gary Lineker and Piers Morgan lead criticism of Arsene Wenger after 'uncomfortable' interview with Jacqui Oatley
Angel Di Maria injury: Manchester United sweat over fitness of record signing as he is in danger of missing Chelsea clash
Adel Taraabt criticism from QPR boss Harry Redknapp sparked by player walking out of team meeting prior to Liverpool game
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments