Doyle excited by Wolves future as he agrees new Molineux deal

Click to follow
The Independent Football

The Wolves striker Kevin Doyle has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until June 2015. The 28-year-old Republic of Ireland forward had two years to run on his previous deal, but has now agreed a longer-term agreement to remain at Molineux.

"It's great news that Kevin has signed the new contract and his future is now secured for another four years," the Wolves manager Mick McCarthy said.

"He has been a key player for us in maintaining our Premier League status over the last two seasons when he has made a major contribution.

"From day one when he arrived he settled at the club and has been the consummate professional in the way he plays and also conducts himself off the pitch. He remains a big part of what we are trying to achieve here, and we are delighted that he has agreed to extend his stay."

The club's joint record signing, who has scored 18 goals in 74 appearances since joining from Reading in June 2009, revealed he had agreed to sign a new deal on the first day of pre-season.

"I'm delighted to have signed the new contract," he said. "It's something we've talked about for a while, and to be honest it's been agreed for a while between myself and the manager. It was just a case of getting it all sorted.

"I don't really think there was anything in the speculation this summer. I'd actually spoken to the gaffer on the very first day of pre-season when we talked about this contract and I was keen to get it done. I am very happy here and am just looking forward to carrying on with the season."

Doyle added: "From the day I arrived I have settled at Wolves really well and everything has felt right. It's been exciting in first of all staying up and then doing it again last year, even if it's also been very nerve-racking at times.

"There have been setbacks along the way but it's also been a successful time. I think the club has always moved forward, which is the most important thing.

"When you look around at what is being done with the stadium and the plans for the training ground, you can see a long-term plan in place which is exciting to be part of.

"The new stand already looks fantastic and it's only halfway there, while there are plans to improve the others as well which should really make this a great place to be.

"There is a real feeling that the club is going places and I'm looking forward to being a part of it."

Of the challenges ahead over the next four years, Doyle added: "We know that this league is very tough and that we have to make sure we stay in the division, first and foremost. There are exciting plans here for the next four years. There will be setbacks along the way – sometimes we may take two steps forward and then one back – but the club is going to get better.

"Hopefully in four years' time we will see Wolves as a club that is consolidated in the top division but we know that will take a lot of hard work to continue what has already been started."

By a neat coincidence Wolves' visitors on Saturday, Newcastle, have just concluded a similar extension to a key player's contract. The United manager Alan Pardew was delighted to announce yesterday that Jonas Gutierrez has signed a new four-year deal at St James' Park.

Like Doyle, the 28-year-old Argentina midfielder had two years of his existing contract to run but put pen to paper on a four-year deal which will keep him on Tyneside until 2015.

Pardew said: "Jonas is an integral part of the future of Newcastle United and we are delighted to have signed a new contract with him. As a seasoned international player, he adds a different dimension to our play when he is on the field and is a huge asset to us."

Comments