Everton transfer talk just rumours, says Michael Owen
Monday 20 August 2012
Former Liverpool and England striker Michael Owen has referred to stories linking him with Everton as “just rumours”.
The 32-year-old, a boyhood Evertonian, is a free agent having been released by Manchester United at the end of last season.
It had been claimed the Toffees would be an ideal fit for the veteran given his perceived desire to stay in the north west.
But when asked by a Twitter user if he was signing for Everton or whether the stories were not true, he responded by tweeting: "Just rumours".
Owen made his name as a precocious teenager with Merseyside rivals Liverpool before moving to Real Madrid and Newcastle and then enduring three injury-hit years at Old Trafford.
He has also been of reported interest to Stoke but no agreement has been reached.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Latest in Sport
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile