Everton's Tim Cahill red card appeal rejected
Tuesday 15 May 2012
Everton's appeal against Tim Cahill's red card in Sunday's 3-1 win over Newcastle has been rejected.
The club appealed after the Australia international was dismissed following an altercation with Magpies midfielder Yohan Cabaye at the full-time whistle.
However, the club have confirmed, via their website evertonfc.com, they have been unsuccessful and Cahill will now serve a three-match ban at the start of next season.
Cabaye, who was cautioned by referee Andre Marriner, had issued an apology on Newcastle's website at the weekend.
"I would like to apologise for the cross words I exchanged with Tim Cahill which resulted in his red card and my booking on the final whistle," he told nufc.co.uk.
"It was unnecessary and, regrettably, the result of frustration and disappointment, all in the heat of the moment.
"It is out of character and for that I am sorry."
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Ian Herbert: England need to learn from Aussies and master art of avoiding ‘the creep’ so they can keep winning when they are winning
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive their rivalry - after a shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent