Fabricio Coloccini hopes to end transfer speculation, insisting he will give '100 per cent' to the Newcastle cause
Newcastle captain had told the club he wanted to return to Argentina
Fabricio Coloccini has spoken about the problems that forced him to seek a move away from Newcastle during the January transfer window.
Coloccini met with club officials on January 10 to inform them of his desire to return to Argentina and last Wednesday he said he would not be returning after talks about negotiating a release form his contract head broken down. At that point he was warned he would face legal action for breach of contract and that forced a dramatic u-turn.
The 31-year-old posted a letter on the San Lorenzo website at the weekend, in which he raised the possibility of leaving St James' Park in the summer.
For now he will continue as Newcastle captain and he will lead the side out at Aston Villa tonight in a crunch relegation fight.
"I think everybody has problems outside of their work in life," he said today. "It is difficult, but now I am here and all I have in my head is to make sure we are in the Premier League next year. That is my only objective.
"I heard in the city and around the club that the fans think I have my head elsewhere thinking about other things, or that I am not the same player as last season but like I say, for me football is my life, I love it. When I am on the pitch, I give everything to win.
"I give 100 per cent. I did that at Newcastle, Deportivo La Coruna or any club I've played at. The fans have to know and be sure that when I am the field, I give 100 per cent. I am the captain of the team and I take the responsibility.
"Everybody in life has problems and it is normal. That is life.
"I am alone here with my family. We don't have grandparents here or uncles and aunties. It does make it difficult, not for me personally because I come to work everyday, but for my kids and wife.
"Here though, the club and the fans are my family at the moment. The love that they give to me with my song and on the pitch for me is fantastic. It's the best present they can give me.
"I never spoke to any team, the only reason to go back to Argentina would have been personal problems but they knew I am a supporter of San Lorenzo and the fans were excited because they thought 'he supports us and this is a big chance to come to San Lorenzo'.
"The last few weeks, there has been a lot of talk about my future but I am staying here, and of course I will give 100 per cent like I always do. I have been here five years and Newcastle has given me a lot and done a lot for me. I have to be true to the club. I will give 100 per cent.
"I love football and once I am on the pitch, it is different. The problems I have are outside the pitch. I think if you look at a game like Norwich or the last few games, I have played normally. The results were not the best, but I have given everything to try to win."
Latest in Sport
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
David Moyes delighted after Rio Ferdinand agrees to stay at Manchester United with new one-year contract
On-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois still believes in Chelsea youth policy
After racist remark, Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful' fried chicken joke
Manuel Pellegrini must decide on futures of Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott as Manchester City name starting date for new manager
Liverpool striker Andy Carroll delays over West Ham move
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.