Ferdinand withdraws suspension appeal
Tuesday 09 February 2010
Rio Ferdinand has withdrawn his appeal against the additional one-match suspension he incurred for a "frivolous" challenge to a violent conduct charge brought against him by the Football Association.
The case was due to be heard on Friday and last week Sir Alex Ferguson indicated a desire to contest the penalty, which turned a three-match ban into a four-game suspension for Ferdinand's attack on Hull striker Craig Fagan at Old Trafford last month.
However, that was before Ferdinand was appointed as England captain by Fabio Capello and rather than risk facing the FA so soon, Press Association Sport understands the 31-year-old has opted to accept his punishment.
It means Ferdinand, who will serve the third match of his suspension tomorrow evening, when United visit Aston Villa, will also sit out the trip to Everton on February 20.
Ferguson is unhappy at the inconsistencies within the FA system, having noted that Javier Mascherano was not even charged following what the United manager felt was an offence of similar gravity during Liverpool's Carling Cup win at Leeds in September.
The Red Devils also felt provocation on Ferdinand was not taken into account when the FA reached their verdict.
However, the club may still view the action as being worthwhile as it allowed Ferdinand to play in the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City last month that ended with United booking a cup final appearance at Wembley and generating added momentum to their season as a whole.
It also suggests Ferdinand is acutely aware of the spotlight he will now be under as England captain and a need to take a measured approach to his dealings with the FA.
Latest in Sport
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Sergio Ramos to Manchester United: Real Madrid defender 'wants' Old Trafford switch
Radamel Falcao to Chelsea: Former Manchester United striker 'signs contract' to join Blues and is told to meet up with squad on pre-season tour
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Why it matters 26 million people have changed their Facebook profile picture to a rainbow flag
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato