Franco 'on verge' of West Ham transfer
Friday 11 September 2009
Mexico striker Guillermo Franco said on today that he was travelling to London to join Premier League club West Ham United.
"Imagine how I feel after so much criticism for not having a team but thank God my dream has come true to play in England," Franco told reporters.
"This is a new step, a new cycle with big challenges in a very strong league," the former Villarreal player added.
West Ham, 11th in the table with four points from three matches, have yet to announce the 32-year-old former San Lorenzo and Monterrey forward will be playing for them this season.
Argentine-born Franco's contract with Spanish club Villarreal expired last month and a move to South American champions Estudiantes in the country of his birth fell through due to late registration.
A member of Mexico's 2006 World Cup squad in Germany, Franco was called up by national team coach Javier Aguirre for this month's 2010 qualifiers despite having no club and scored in the 3-0 win away to Costa Rica on Saturday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture