Franco 'on verge' of West Ham transfer
Friday 11 September 2009
Mexico striker Guillermo Franco said on today that he was travelling to London to join Premier League club West Ham United.
"Imagine how I feel after so much criticism for not having a team but thank God my dream has come true to play in England," Franco told reporters.
"This is a new step, a new cycle with big challenges in a very strong league," the former Villarreal player added.
West Ham, 11th in the table with four points from three matches, have yet to announce the 32-year-old former San Lorenzo and Monterrey forward will be playing for them this season.
Argentine-born Franco's contract with Spanish club Villarreal expired last month and a move to South American champions Estudiantes in the country of his birth fell through due to late registration.
A member of Mexico's 2006 World Cup squad in Germany, Franco was called up by national team coach Javier Aguirre for this month's 2010 qualifiers despite having no club and scored in the 3-0 win away to Costa Rica on Saturday.
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services