Fulham v Liverpool: Liverpool owner John W Henry slams Cottagers but match will go ahead after Tube strike suspended
Henry highlighted that Arsenal, West Ham and Leyton Orient had all planned to go ahead with their matches in the capital despite the latest London Underground strike whereas Fulham were looking to postpone theirs
Liverpool’s trip to Fulham will go ahead as planned after the proposed London Underground strike was called off, but that has not stopped owner John W Henry taking to Twitter to lay into the London outfit for considering postponing the Premier League fixture.
Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen announced that he was confident that the match would go ahead, minutes before the RMT union joined TSSA in suspending the planned 48 hour strike after reaching an agreement, with a full cancellation set to come once the agreement has been received.
"As far as I am concerned the game will go ahead," said Meulensteen.
"It has not been too much of a concern to us, it's not something we could allow to affect us."
The club had said that they would announce their decision whether Wednesday’s match will go ahead at 3pm today, though news of the strike suspension has removed the transport risk posed to the match.
However, Henry launched his criticism of the Cottagers on Monday night, posting on his Twitter account: “Arsenal, West Ham and Leyton Orient all ready for the strike but not Fulham?”
Of course, it isn’t the first time that the American has caused a stir on social media, having addressed Arsenal’s £40m plus £1 bid for Luis Suarez last summer.
“What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?” Henry wrote following the rejection of the offer. Liverpool were vigilant in their attempts to hold on to the striker, which has paid off massively this season with the Uruguayan in scintillating form so far this campaign.
Fulham did issue a statement explaining why the fixture was under threat.
It read: “The club can confirm that it is currently proceeding on the basis that the game will go ahead.
“However, the club has concerns over the potential impact that the strike may have on the ability of its safety staff to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers to ensure that it is able to open the ground and effectively operate it, from the time that the gates are open to the public until the departure of all supporters.
“After consulting with the local authority and the Metropolitan Police, it has been decided that if the proposed action is still undetermined at 3pm Tuesday, and the club cannot guarantee enough staff are available to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers, then as a consequence the club would not be able to comply with the terms of its safety certificate and the fixture would be postponed and rescheduled for a future date.
“A further statement will be released at 3pm on Tuesday to confirm whether the game will go ahead or be postponed.”
The threat to the match was due to the worry that all the required support staff would not be able to get to Craven Cottage, but that is now no longer a concern and Fulham fans can now look forward to the prospect of Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge, the famed SAS, strutting their stuff in London on Wednesday evening.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia
HSBC review into moving headquarters from UK 'underway'