Gareth Bale is not a diver, says former Tottenham winger David Ginola
Tuesday 04 December 2012
Gareth Bale has been warned by David Ginola that he will find his growing reputation as a diver hard to shake off. But the Frenchman, who was accused of similar actions when he was at Tottenham, insisted accusations that the Welsh winger goes to ground too easily are unfounded.
"When you get a reputation it's really [hard] to get rid [of]," Ginola said. "It's really easy when you run that fast with that pace on the pitch at players – you don't need a big tackle to go down. A little push would be enough to lose balance."
Ginola urged referees to protect Bale. He said: "When you have players who entertain you week in, week out you have to protect that. It's so precious. You have to take care of them because they are little diamonds in a league like the English Premier League."
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson destroys sorry England to give Australia command in second Test
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail