George Boyd banned: Steve Bruce left fuming after he accuses FA of making Hull winger's spitting suspension in 'kangaroo court'

Bruce will be without Boyd's services after his appeal was rejected and Bruce has called for an overhaul of the current disciplinary system

Hull boss Steve Bruce has accused the Football Association of allowing George Boyd to be tried by a “kangaroo court” after the winger's three-match ban for spitting was rejected by an independent disciplinary panel this week.

Bruce has maintained Boyd's absolute innocence over the affair following an incident with Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart in the second half of the Tigers' 2-0 Barclays Premier League defeat last Saturday.

And he has called for an overhaul of the disciplinary system after claiming his club were given neither the time nor space to make a case for the defence in light of the initial FA charge on Wednesday evening.

Boyd given three-match ban for spitting at Joe Hart

Bruce said: "It's like a kangaroo court - we don't know who sits on it or who is accountable for it.

"The problem is we can't go down and see anyone, we can't be represented on this commission and we don't know who sat on it.

"What we got was three referees on Monday morning saying that in their view he (Boyd) deliberately spat at him (Hart). We're totally disappointed and the whole system needs looking at.

"For me we don't get a fair hearing because George Boyd would never spit at anybody, but that's what he has been found guilty of and we are aggrieved over it.

"George feels so strongly about it that if there was legal action he could take he would take it, because they are accusing him of something that is not in his make-up at all."

Bruce said Boyd's charge and subsequent ban had thrown his plans for Saturday's KC Stadium clash with West Brom into turmoil as Boyd was due to start the game after two impressive displays as a substitute.


Last week's loss to City left the Tigers looking anxiously over their shoulder and Bruce is standing by his prediction his side need two more wins from their remaining fixtures in order to ensure top-flight survival.

Bruce added: "I think we'd be very unlucky to go down with 10 wins because you expect to pick up a few draws along the way.

"It's usually enough to keep you in the league. With so many teams playing each other it could be separated by goal difference."

Meanwhile, Bruce insisted striker Shane Long has nothing to prove as he prepares to come up against his former club for the first time.

Long was surprisingly allowed to leave The Hawthorns in January, a decision some in the west Midlands have come to rue in light of their side's slide down the table and the high-profile departure of Nicolas Anelka.

Bruce said: "Make no mistake, Shane will want to do well and he will go to bed tonight dreaming that he will get the winning goal against his former club.

"But Shane has got nothing to prove to West Bromwich Albion. Over the years he proved to be a terrific player for them and a great signing.

"We chased him for a long time and we're delighted to have him here. He and Nikica Jelavic have really given the place a lift."