Greg Dyke admits FA rules are flawed after Fernando Torres escapes punishment for scratching face of Jan Vertonghen
The Chelsea striker escaped punishment because the incident had been seen during the game, albeit only partially
Wednesday 09 October 2013
Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will push for a change to disciplinary rules after the body's decision not to take action against Chelsea striker Fernando Torres for scratching Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen.
Although the FA altered its rules in the summer to make it easier to take retrospective action using video evidence, it was unable to charge Torres as part of the incident had been seen by a match official.
Dyke admitted that the current position "can't be right" and needs further change.
He told the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge: "When millions of fans watching on TV can see an incident like this and the FA does not take action it is understandably baffling to everybody and has to be addressed.
"For the FA's disciplinary department to find itself in a position where it is not able to take action against an obvious scratch just can't be right.
"What this means is, despite the rules being changed in the summer, they clearly weren't changed enough.
"As FA chairman I don't like to be in a position where I cannot explain the rules when action should be taken when something is pretty obvious."
Dyke's comments will no doubt please Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, who was infuriated by the FA's lack of action against Torres.
While the Spaniard was eventually sent off for two yellow cards later in the 1-1 draw, the Spurs boss branded the inability to act on the incident with Vertonghen "disgraceful" and "farcical".
"It's extremely difficult to know where to start," Villas-Boas said, speaking in Russia ahead of the Europa League clash with Anzhi.
"Obviously, it is almost a farcical decision. It doesn't matter to me which player or club is involved.
"Neither do I want to with my words put into question Fernando's integrity; neither their manager's, in trying to defend what is our position.
"I think the FA has made a decision almost a joke. It looks incredible.
"How can you see the images, pretty clear, and come out without punishment, on something [which] overtake all professional behaviour?
"I think the decision is a disgrace. If the committee can't solve such clear images I don't think it sets out a good first example and we're not asking nobody to retract themselves; the player to retract themselves. That would not be fair.
"This is a competition and in the end they came up with what they thought was fair for that. We don't want Fernando suspended because it can make them weaker, because their bench is so strong, but I think the FA has lost all opportunity to put some sense into the images everybody saw.
"I'm extremely grateful for ex-refs to be able to enlighten people a little bit more, though I think most of you guys saw the incident as something that is not tolerable in football."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back