Guillermo Varela deal complete: David Moyes signs his first player as manager of Manchester United
The right-back joins on a five-year deal
Tuesday 11 June 2013
Manchester United have completed the signing of Uruguayan right-back Guillermo Varela on a five-year contract.
The 20-year-old has sealed his move from Penarol after a deal was agreed last week.
"I'm very pleased to be a part of this club, one of the best teams in the world," Varela, who impressed in a two-week trial with United in May, said on http://www.manutd.com.
Varela will represent Uruguay at the Under-20 World Cup in Turkey later this month before joining up with his new team-mates.
He added: "As everyone in the world knows, this is a huge club that has won everything and I really hope that continues.
"I'm very lucky there are quite a few Spanish-speakers here. It will certainly help me settle in."
Varela will provide competition for first choice right-back Rafael, who enjoyed his best season for the club last term.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners 'use Champions League draw to discuss move' for PSG teenager Adrien Rabiot
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
England manager Roy Hodgson lectures Luke Shaw over fitness issues
Champions League draw: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City learn group stage fate
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage