Harry Redknapp says 'strange, unexpected circumstances' surrounded Tottenham sacking
Friday 15 June 2012
Harry Redknapp refuses to be downbeat after being sacked by Tottenham in "strange, unexpected circumstances".
Spurs confirmed the 65-year-old's departure in the early hours of yesterday morning.
And while the former Portsmouth boss admits he wishes he could have stayed, he believes the writing was on the wall as he was disliked by the Tottenham hierarchy.
He told The Sun: "I won't slit my throat over it. I want to get on with my life instead of moping about getting the sack.
"I loved every minute of my time at Spurs and I've no regrets whatsoever.
"I don't feel bitter, nor regretful, there's no confusion or anger."
He added: "When people at the top don't like you, what can you do about it? I have to respect it. I can't do anything about that."
Redknapp had transformed the fortunes of the north London club since taking charge in October 2008 following the sacking of Juande Ramos, with the club having taken just two points from their first eight Barclays Premier League games.
In his first full season in charge, he guided Spurs to fourth position taking them into the Champions League for the first time.
Spurs played some exhilarating football on their way to the quarter-finals, before being knocked out by Real Madrid.
Since then Redknapp has twice failed to secure Champions League football at White Hart Lane, albeit with a touch of misfortune this season as Chelsea snatched the last available place away from them with their win over Bayern in this year's final.
Redknapp told the Daily Mail: "These are strange, unexpected circumstances to be leaving now.
"We did a good job. If someone had offered me fourth place before the season started, I'd have taken it."
Redknapp's departure brought to an end a dramatic season in which he underwent a heart procedure in November, was cleared of tax evasion in February and missed out on the England job in May.
In amongst it all, his side let a 10-point lead over rivals Arsenal slip, which ultimately cost them their place among Europe's elite.
"People read all these different things into how our season ended, but I know the reality," Redknapp continued. "When you end up with two free transfers playing centre half, as we did at times, that is going to have an impact.
"I will never accept that we just played badly, or that I lost focus.
"I look at all the things, the games we should have won, where we had massive possession, deflected goals, the team that comes sixth winning the Champions League.
"It's not as simple as is being made out."
Latest in Sport
Phil Neville and his fellow Match of the Day pundits given warning by the BBC after 'smash them' comment
Manchester United transfer news and rumours: David De Gea could leave for FREE; £38m for Marquinhos; £37m bid for Mats Hummels;
Transfer news LIVE: Manchester United to make £37m Mats Hummels bid; Inter plan Yaya Toure move; Shola Ameobi joins Crystal Palace
Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Mario Balotelli's agent speaks as Brendan Rodgers swoops for German duo
Andy Murray vs Tomas Berdych - LIVE! Australian Open semi-final latest as Murray wins after losing first set
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures