Headache for Bruce with seven missing
Thursday 23 December 2010
Sunderland boss Steve Bruce faces major selection problems for the Boxing Day trip to Manchester United with seven senior men missing.
Skipper Lee Cattermole is suspended after reaching five bookings for the season, while striker Danny Welbeck is ineligible under the terms of his loan agreement with United.
Central defender John Mensah is likely to be out for three weeks with the ankle injury he suffered during last weekend's 1-0 win over Bolton, and he joins Titus Bramble and Michael Turner (both knee) on the sidelines.
In addition, David Meyler suffered a knock on his return from a long-term knee injury at Fulham, while Fraizer Campbell (also knee) continues to work his way back to full fitness.
Team (from): Gordon, Mignolet, Onuoha, Bardsley, Richardson, Angeleri, Da Silva, Riveros, Henderson, Malbranque, Elmohamady, Zenden, Bent, Gyan, Meyler, Adams.
Latest in Sport
Why does Manuel Pellegrini keep picking Martin Demichelis for Manchester City?
England 29 Wales 18 player ratings: Who was the star man at Twickenham?
David Meyler, Samuel Eto'o and the best, most controversial and bizarre goal celebrations
Bayern Munich v Arsenal: 10 reasons for Arsenal to be optimistic of Champions League progress
Bayern Munich v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pleads for 'fair chance' from referee as Arsenal look to turn around Champions League deficit
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home