Heysel was deal-breaker for Alessandro Del Piero's Liverpool move
Friday 12 October 2012
Sydney FC striker Alessandro del Piero says he rejected an approach from Liverpool out of respect for victims of the 1985 Heysel disaster.
A 10-year-old Juve fan at the time of the tragedy, Del Piero left the club after 19 years at the end of last season before joining Sydney on a free transfer, but not before Liverpool made a late offer.
But Del Piero said: "I thought about what happened at Heysel.
"Juve and Liverpool have worked hard to mend their relationship, but for a lot of people it's something that can never be forgotten."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage