I love Stoke, says Tuncay as he insists he will fight for his place

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The Stoke forward Tuncay Sanli insists he is happy to fight for his place at the Britannia Stadium. The Turkey international was linked with a move away from the Potteries in the summer after manager Tony Pulis brought in Kenwyne Jones, Jon Walters and Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Tuncay, who joined Stoke from Middlesbrough for £5m last summer, was not even on the bench for Monday's match against Aston Villa and left the ground before kick-off.

But he dismissed any talk of a rift with Pulis. He said: "Every player wants to play and I am an emotional person, but for the gaffer it is very hard with his choices, because he has so many options.

"I am OK and there is no problem with the gaffer. I still love the club and the supporters. I love them and they love me. This is my team and my job is here. It is only the weather I do not like here."

The majority of Tuncay's 40 appearances for Stoke have come as a substitute but, with Turkey having begun their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, he is determined to keep staking his claim.

"If I am not ready for Stoke, then I am not ready for Turkey," he added. "That is why I am ready to play all the time."

Meanwhile the Wolves midfielder David Edwards has become the latest player to pledge his future to the Molineux club.

Despite having two years remaining on his contract, Edwards has signed a new three-year deal that ties him to Wolves through to 2013, with an option for a fourth year.

Edwards follows in the footsteps of goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey and midfielder Matt Jarvis who also recently committed themselves to the club.

The Wales international said: "It's nice to be approached to sign longer deals that give a little bit more security. Wolves are a good club for keeping the squad together and offering deals to players working as hard as they can.

"We've been in talks for quite a while and it's a great confidence booster to feel wanted. Hopefully I can repay that."

Blackburn youngster Josh Morris has signed a new two-year deal with the option of a further year to keep him at the club until at least the summer of 2012.

The 18-year-old, who can play at left-back or in midfield, has been with Rovers since the age of 13 and joined the senior squad this summer.

He has yet to make a first-team appearance but was on the bench for the Premier League match at Birmingham last month and the Carling Cup meeting with Norwich.

Comments