In pictures: Manchester City unveil their new 'half-and-half' away kit in tribute to Ardwick AFC and Gorton AFC
Black and dark charcoal halves represent former incarnations Ardwick who wore a similar kit in 1890/1 and Gorton who played in first ever recorded City kit in1884
Tuesday 23 July 2013
Premier League runners-up Manchetser City have unveiled their new away kit for the 2013/14 season, with the half-black, half-dark charcoal kit a tribute to the former names of the club.
The team will play in the kit which is a tribute to "their rich history and the club’s founding fathers".
City were originally created as St Mark’s in 1880, before becoming Gorton AFC in 1884 when they wore the first recorded Manchester Cith kit, and then Ardwick AFC between 1887 and 1894.
Throughout the 1890/91 season, Ardwick wore an all black kit that has inspired this years version.
Click HERE or click 'VIEW GALLERY' to see more images
The shirt features a grandfather collar, and following the launch of Manchester United's thick collared kits for this season, it seems 2013/14 will be remembered as the battle of the collars.
So far, the reaction has been hugely positive, with City fans flooding Twitter with messages of appreciation of the new design. It seems City may have scored an early goal in the battle of the kits.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget