Injury puts Petrov out till Christmas
Tuesday 26 October 2010
Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov was yesterday ruled out until at least Christmas after the midfielder injured his knee in Saturday's Premier League defeat at Sunderland.
"Unfortunately, I think we have lost Stiliyan Petrov for maybe at least two months," confirmed Villa's manager, Gérard Houllier, yesterday.
"We will see if he needs an operation or not – we will know that by the middle of the week."
The Bulgarian international picked up the injury in the first half of Saturday's 1-0 defeat, which left Villa in 10th place after nine matches.
Petrov has featured in all of Villa's league games this season and scored on the opening day of the campaign in the 3-0 win over West Ham. The 31-year-old arrived at Villa Park from Celtic in 2006 and cost £6.5m.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland