'It was my decision': Roberto Mancini sad at departure of Mario Balotelli
Striker joined AC Milan in £19m deal
Friday 01 February 2013
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini claims the club are not happy to have lost Mario Balotelli and the decision to sell was a difficult one.
Balotelli's extraordinary, controversy-filled spell at the Etihad Stadium came to an end this week as he completed a reported £19million transfer to boyhood club AC Milan.
The move came at the end of a month of intense speculation over the fiery striker's future, which City had consistently downplayed, but ultimately it was felt the deal was in everyone's interests.
Mancini, who expressed his sadness at the 22-year-old's impending departure earlier in the week, said: "We are not happy because I think he did well.
"Maybe not in the last three or four months because he had a big problem with injuries, but he did well because he helped the team win the Premier League and the FA Cup.
"We are sad for this but this is football.
"It was difficult, it was only my decision.
"I am here, (for) the club and Mario. Also for Mario to go back to Italy to play for Milan was important.
"I believe in him and I believe to go back to Italy after two years in England is important."
Mancini was often Balotelli's fiercest critic at City but usually backed his former Inter Milan protege in the end.
The 48-year-old was determined to coax the best out of the often wayward Balotelli and even after a high-profile training bust-up last month, said he was prepared to give him "another 100 chances".
But despite Mancini's denials, rumours linking the player with Milan refused to subside and City acted once the Serie A giants' interest became concrete.
Mancini, meeting media to preview this weekend's game with Liverpool, said: "Until one week ago it was impossible, because we never received any offers.
"Instead in the last three days Milan started to talk with the club and did an offer.
"We thought it was good for everyone, probably, for Mario to have the chance to go back to Italy and play in a top club like Milan.
"We hope it will be important for him and for the club that can get back some money."
Balotelli's exit removes the considerable circus that often follows his every move from Mancini's concern.
But his faith in the player's talent has never wavered and he still expects the Italy international to become a star of the world game.
He said: "Yes, he has everything, always. He has quality. It is important he can understand this."
City are now with just three senior frontline strikers in Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko. Other options include reserve team youngsters Marcos Lopes and John Guidetti.
Yet given Balotelli's recent form - he had been a peripheral figure this season, scoring only three goals - Mancini does not feel that is an issue.
He said: "Now we have three strikers. We have only Premier League and FA Cup, I think that could be enough."
Mancini added that City did not look to bring in a replacement forward before the January transfer deadline.
He said: "No, it was difficult to take another good player."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United transfer news: United given new hope in race for Juan Cuadrado as Barcelona talks stall
Manchester United transfer news: United close in on Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen
Manchester City transfer news: Frank Lampard heads to Etihad as pre-New York City FC stopgap
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Commonwealth Games 2014: Usain Bolt eases Jamaica into men's relay final
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc