Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has revealed he joined supporters in the 77th minute mass walk-out at Anfield in protest against inflated ticket prices.
Hordes of Reds fans could be seen leaving their seats in disgust following the decision to charge up to £77 for some tickets in the new Main Stand extension next season.
Writing in his Daily Mail column, Carragher said: “I was at Anfield on Saturday when Liverpool fans took their stand about the club publishing a price list for tickets next season that will cost as much as £77. I walked out, along with another 10,000 or so, in the 77th minute.
“People have said to me since then ‘it’s ok for you on your big wages, that’s why the prices are so high’. I was paid well, yes, but I was there for 17 years and in comparison to some of the other players who were in that squad, it was fair.
“That’s what you want ticket prices to be: fair. I know the increase will not impact on me but I also know plenty about my city — £77 is too much to watch a game anywhere but that price is particularly over the top in Liverpool.
“Why have they done it? It has been explained that it is only 200 seats for six best games of the season. If they had made the tickets £60, which is still expensive, Liverpool’s profits would fall by £20,400.
“Is the negative PR from all this worth it? No, especially when you think — to put things into perspective — the club are still paying a large portion of Mario Balotelli’s wages even though he’s now at AC Milan.
“Liverpool generate around £35million from ticket income. Had FSG announced a freeze on prices when the new stand was completed, the income would have risen to £37m. The increase means they could generate £39m.”
- More about:
- Liverpool FC