John Carver: Newcastle confirm Carver will remain in charge of the Magpies until the end of the season

Carver was named caretaker manager when Alan Pardew left to join Crystal Palace and will oversee matters until at least the summer

Click to follow
The Independent Football

John Carver has been confirmed as the man to lead Newcastle through to the end of the season, after the club admitted defeat in their attempt to land an immediate successor to Alan Pardew.

It is a month now since Pardew told his then employers at St James’ Park that he would prefer to take charge of Crystal Palace. In that time, his former assistant has lost three games (two league ties and one in the FA Cup) and drawn one of the four he has been in charge for.

Newcastle officials had met with Rémi Garde on 9 January, but there were complications with the Frenchman’s back-room staff, who are still in position at his former club Lyons. Meanwhile, Steve McClaren and Frank de Boer, both targets, were not prepared to leave Derby County and Ajax respectively in the middle of potentially successful campaigns.

It means that managing director Lee Charnley, in his most high-profile assignment since he took over from Derek Llambias in June 2013, has, initially at least, drawn a blank in the search for the seventh manager of owner Mike Ashley’s near-eight-year tenure.

“It was my intention to appoint an individual who would be available to start immediately,” Charnley said. “Having now explored the options available to us at this time, the decision has been taken to defer the appointment until the end of the season.

“The head coach will be a long-term appointment that will play a major role in shaping the future on-field progression of Newcastle United. It is vitally important that we get the right individual.”

Carver, 50, a member of Sir Bobby Robson’s back-room staff, spoke of his delight yesterday. “This is a proud day for me,” he said. “I have worked with, and learnt from, the best manager that this club has had in Sir Bobby Robson.

“I know what this club means to this city and its people. I believe in my players and the staff I have around me. I am confident that we can deliver exciting, successful football and look forward with relish to my role as head coach of this great club.”

The decision brought a mixed response from Newcastle supporters. In 2011, Andy Carroll was sold in the January transfer window and not replaced, likewise Yohan Cabaye last year. Both seasons were allowed to limp towards their completion.

There are concerns once more of another period of drift, although the taking of just four points from the last 21 available has undermined the usual desire to finish in the top 10, something that has to be achieved for club staff to receive a bonus. Newcastle sit 11th  in the table and face third- bottom Hull on Saturday with just eight points separating the two teams.

Charnley admitted last week that it was unlikely there would be any signings during the current transfer window, meaning the temporary head coach must fight off any  lingering threat of relegation with existing personnel.

Carver signed an eight-year contract in 2012 and it is believed it would cost around £2m in compensation to get rid of him and his assistants Steve Stone and Andy Woodman. A poll in the city newspaper, the Evening Chronicle, yesterday showed that 97 per cent of fans would back the appointment of De Boer.

Comments