Johnson poised for recall to plug Wolves' leaky defence
Connor ready to turn to club captain for vital game at Norwich after 5-0 home defeat to United
The Wolves captain Roger Johnson could earn a recall for Saturday's Premier League trip to Norwich.
The 28-year-old has not played since Terry Connor took over as manager from Mick McCarthy last month and was fined two weeks ago for a breach of discipline when he turned up "unfit to train properly".
Wolves have conceded 14 goals in the four games the central defender has sat out and Ronald Zubar's suspension following his red card in Sunday's 5-0 defeat by Manchester United could open the way for Johnson to return.
Connor told the Express and Star: "He's been there every session, working hard and is ready to go. There's a first time for everything, if it's the first time [I play him].
"He wants to play, he wants to compete, he wants to win and he reminds me of that.
"He lets me know he's available and that's fine, I've no problem with that whatsoever. His chances of playing are the same as last week and the week before.
"We all know what happened the other week but that was dealt with and Roger has trained really well. He hasn't been a minute's problem to me since."
Meanwhile, Connor again stressed he does not want an experienced coach to be brought in to work alongside him, an option given to him by chief executive Jez Moxey.
Connor said: "I was aware of that [chance] before and I think Jez has only reiterated what was said. It's not something I want to do at the moment."
Moxey later admitted that the sales of Early Bird season tickets have been disappointing after the club saw a drop of almost 18 per cent in renewals from last year.
Only 12,150 season-ticket holders have chosen to renew at the frozen price, well down on the 14,780 fans who took up the offer last season.
With Wolves bottom of the table and having picked up only one point from their last five games, Moxey can understand why numbers are down.
He said: "While we are disappointed with the final figure, it has come as no surprise either. We acknowledge that this has been another very difficult season on the pitch with the team battling for Barclays Premier League survival. We have a lot of debate with supporters over the price of tickets, hence our continued commitment to the fantastic Early Bird offer, but the reality is fans want a successful football team to support and the drop in sales reflects the reality on the pitch this season.
"To improve supporter numbers, we must improve the football on the pitch. I would like to thank all the fans who have renewed or bought Early Bird season tickets for the first time.
"To have over 12,000 supporters guaranteeing their support for next season by mid-March remains a healthy figure and that pledge of loyalty to Wolves is very much appreciated."
The decision to replace McCarthy with Connor last month has not yet had the desired effect but Connor yesterday received support from the man he worked alongside at Molineux for five and a half years.
McCarthy told Sky Sports News: "If Terry had left and they had appointed somebody new, I wouldn't have had such a vested interest in it.
"But he is a really close family friend now, both himself and his wife are great pals. I have had even more of an interest in it, watching it and wishing him well, because I'd like to see him do well."
The spread betting firms are very slow about pricing up this game and you can understand why. All th...
by Gareth Purnell
20 June 2013 02:01 AM
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Jamie Carragher can see why Luis Suarez wants move to Real Madrid
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Mike Ashley wants blood after last season's trauma at Newcastle - and it won't stop with Derek Llambias
Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats