Jol to stay with Ajax despite Fulham offer
Thursday 22 July 2010
Martin Jol today confirmed he was staying at Ajax although he admits his agent did hold "serious talks" with Fulham.
Jol was Fulham's top target to replace Roy Hodgson, now at Liverpool, but their bid to bring the former Tottenham boss back to London has ended in failure.
Jol told the Ajax website this morning: "Ajax let me know they didn't want me to go.
"And I don't think I can bring myself to leave Ajax at this time.
"I came here last summer to be successful, the build a good team and to have fun.
"And those three things are what I am interested in achieving next season."
It is thought Jol came to that decision following constructive talks with Ajax chief executive Rik van den Boog, who offered assurances that any funds generated from the possible departures of big names Maarten Stekelenburg, Luis Suarez and Gregory van der Wiel this summer would be ploughed back into team strengthening.
Jol added: "The club and I share each other's concerns.
"Everyone knows that Ajax have financial difficulties.
"But we all want to perform better than last season. The expectations at Ajax are always high.
"Marko Pantelic, Dennis Rommedahl, Kennedy and Gabri have all left the club and we haven't added anyone yet.
"Also, there is the uncertainty about whether a few other key players will stay."
Jol, who joined Ajax from Hamburg last year, revealed it was not the first time he had been approached during his time in Amsterdam.
"I had offers from other clubs in April and May but brushed them aside," he said.
"But this time my agent Mino Raiola held serious talks with a delegation from the British club.
"I am pleased that these hectic days are over. We can now look to the future.
"We have a focus and that is Wednesday's (Champions League qualifier) against PAOK.
"We are all going to do our best to get the team to the desired level."
Van den Boog was pleased Jol was to remain at the ArenA.
"It is annoying it has dragged on for a week," he said, "but the important thing is the result and that is good because Martin continues at Ajax."
Van den Boog was mystified how the speculation over Jol's future escalated to the extent it did.
He told the Algemeen Dagblad newspaper: "I find the publicity almost laughable and I have wondered 'what is this about?'.
"On the other hand, I understand it. It is Ajax.
"There was a club that wanted our coach. And they approached him at a time when he didn't have a lot of confidence in the squad.
"The coach answered questions about it and was flattered by the attention - that I understand."
"But he is under contract with us and his relationship with the club is good."
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 3 Why are UK rail fares so expensive?
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head