Jordi Gomez signs new Wigan deal
Friday 30 March 2012
Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez has signed a new two-year contract at the DW Stadium.
The 26-year-old playmaker's previous deal had been due to expire in the summer but he has now committed to the Barclays Premier League club until 2014 despite the danger of relegation.
The former Barcelona youth team player, who joined Latics from Espanyol in 2009, has scored four goals this season.
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is pleased to have beaten off interest from other clubs for his fellow Spaniard's services.
Martinez said: "We are delighted that Jordi is committing himself to our football club.
"He is our top goalscorer this season and his vision has provided us with a real playmaking role in the side.
"He has accumulated a fantastic experience in the Barclays Premier League and with potential offers waiting for him in the summer, it is a fantastic gesture towards the football club that he has chosen to commit to Wigan Athletic at this crucial moment of the season."
Gomez, who has scored six times in 42 league starts for Wigan and first worked with Martinez during a loan spell at Swansea, feels settled at the club.
He said: "I would like to thank everyone at the club for making me feel welcome.
"I feel I can keep improving here and now I want to keep focusing on my game and do all I can to finish the season strongly and keep our Premier League status."
Wigan are in the bottom three but just a point off the safety of 17th place with eight games of their campaign remaining.
Latest in Sport
Commonwealth Games 2014: It ain’t London 2012, but Glasgow aims to go ‘with a roar’
Loic Remy to Liverpool: Striker undergoes medical in Boston ahead of £8.5m move
Manchester United transfer news: Arturo Vidal subject of £39m bid - reports
Liverpool transfer news: Javier Manquillo expected to join on two-year loan deal
Manchester City transfer news: Arsenal interested in Matija Nastasic as a possible replacement for Thomas Vermaelen
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia