Jose Mourinho charged: Chelsea manager facing misconduct rap for comments made after Southampton defeat

Mourinho has until Thursday evening to respond

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Jose Mourinho is facing a misconduct charge for comments he made during his seven-minute rant after Chelsea's defeat to Southampton.

The Blues boss, who also warned the club hierarchy against sacking him, said that referees were "afraid" of giving big decisions to Chelsea - the Portuguese felt that referee Robert Madley should have given his side, who suffered a shock 3-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge, a penalty when Radamel Falcao was brought down by Saints keeper Maarten Stekelenburg. 

The reigning Premier League champions lie 16th in the table after a poor run of form which saw them suffer a fourth defeat in eight games in front of owner Roman Abramovich on Saturday.

The statement read: "Jose Mourinho has been charged for misconduct in relation to media comments he made following Chelsea's game against Southampton on Saturday 3 October 2015.

"It is alleged his remarks constitute improper conduct in that they allege and/or imply bias on the part of a match official or match officials and/or bring the game into disrepute.

"He has until 6pm on Thursday 8 October 2015 to respond to the charge."

Mourinho had said after the Southampton defeat: "When everything goes against you, you need these decisions. One thing teams are not afraid of is to make penalties against us because they make them all the time and the referees they never give.

"It is a big confidence they feel because they are not afraid to be aggressive in the box.

"I tell my players to be careful in the box. These opponents know that they don't have to feel that pressure."

Earlier on Monday Chelsea had expressed their confidence in Mourinho with a statement of their own.

Additional reporting from PA

Comments