Kanouté steps back into top flight as he joins West Ham exodus

Frédéric Kanoute is excited by the prospect of a move to Tottenham. The French striker is discussing terms and undergoing medical examinations with Spurs before he can complete his move from West Ham United, who will receive a cash sum plus the Tottenham midfielder Matthew Etherington in exchange.

The move offers Kanouté the chance to remain in the top flight following the Hammers' relegation and he follows Glen Johnson, Trevor Sinclair, Lee Bowyer and Les Ferdinand out of the club. Kanouté told Sky Sports News: "The move should happen in the next couple of days, hopefully. I am happy. Spurs is a special move and it's a challenge for me. I know it's going to be hard work to get my place, that's what I'm expecting. It is a challenge, but I am ready for it."

Kanouté believes West Ham are still good enough to bounce straight back to the Premiership despite losing a number of first-teamers. "There are many young players and it's time now to let them play. It's going to be a bit different in the First Division and they are going to have to do it with the younger players. But they are a really talented group."

West Ham, who have already agreed terms with Etherington, will receive a cash sum plus the former Peterborough midfielder in exchange for Kanouté.

News of the proposed transfer was announced on Tottenham's official website, on Saturday night. The talented, but unpredictable Kanouté, who missed a large part of last season with a groin injury, will face tough competition for a place in the Spurs line-up.

The 28-year-old would become the the third attacking player to move to White Hart Lane this summer following the signings of Helder Postiga and Bobby Zamora.

While the Spurs manager, Glenn Hoddle, continues to increase his attacking options, it appears he has decided he can dispense of the services of Etherington. The left-sided midfield player made only limited first-team appearances last season, but the West Ham manager, Glenn Roeder, believes the attacker's arrival will be very beneficial to the club.

Roeder told the club's official website : "We have agreed personal terms with Matt, we are close to the transfer, and when we secure his services with Freddie going the other way we hope to continue our efforts to bring in another striker - we are in the advanced stages of doing so.

"This could be our third signing after Robert Lee and David Connolly. I am pleased about this, and of course, I am delighted that the Rob Lee deal has just been completed."

Details of the deal are yet to be revealed but the West Ham managing director, Paul Aldridge, has confirmed that the club will not be out of pocket. "There will be a cash adjustment in our favour," he said.

Lee has signed for West Ham following his release earlier this summer from Derby. The 37-year-old former England midfielder has been training with the Hammers since the start of July and yesterday put pen to paper on a one-year deal.

"It has taken me 20 years to get to West Ham," he said. "There is no other squad in the First Division that I would rather be in. I have been desperate to join them and although it has taken a long time it is worth it."

The Leicester midfielder, Matthew Jones, has suffered another disappointment before the new season starts with the news that he will be out of action for at least four months.

The Wales international, who had a recent trial spell at Nottingham Forest, was told by a specialist on Friday that he had suffered a disc injury. Jones missed most of last season after sustaining a knee injury against Liverpool in January 2001 which ruled him out for 12 months.

Comments