Late Tevez goal gives Man Utd win
Carlos Tevez struck a late goal to give Manchester United a 1-0 win at Stoke City after the home side played the last 20 minutes with 10 men in the opening game of the Premier League's Christmas programme.
United, hoping to put the pressure on the other title contenders who were all in action later, barely threatened in the first half and though they were livelier after the break they also had a few scares as Rory Delap's long throw-ins again caused problems.
Stoke, beaten 5-0 at Old Trafford six weeks ago, defended resolutely, particularly after having Andy Wilkinson sent off for a second booking, until Gary Neville and Dimitar Berbatov combined to set up Tevez to thump in from close range seven minutes from time.
Chelsea were also in action in a later lunchtime kickoff, at home to West Bromwich Albion, while Liverpool were at home to Bolton Wanderers (1500) and Arsenal away at Aston Villa in an evening game.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave