Latest Chelsea offer for Luka Modric 'pretty poor' says Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp has ridiculed Chelsea's latest offer for Luka Modric and insists that even a bid of over £30m will not be enough to tempt the club to sell their star playmaker.

The Tottenham boss also claims chairman Daniel Levy is so intent on keeping Modric that a transfer request would not change his stance.

After seeing a £22m bid knocked back for Modric last month, Chelsea reportedly returned with an improved £27million offer yesterday.

Modric has repeatedly stated he wants to leave White Hart Lane to complete a "dream" move to Chelsea.

The 25-year-old Croatian raised the stakes in his stand-off with Spurs on Saturday when he launched a stinging attack on Levy, accusing the chairman of "twisting the facts" about a meeting between the two concerning his future last week.

Modric claims Levy reneged on a deal to allow him to leave this summer for a bigger club, but Spurs insist no such agreement exists and they are adamant the former Dinamo Zagreb man will not be sold at any price.

Redknapp has been scathing of Chelsea's approach for Modric, describing their opening offer for his midfield maestro as "farcical" and "a joke".

He was just as unimpressed with the latest attempt to prise Modric away from Spurs.

"I still think £27million is a pretty poor offer in my opinion for a player of that ability," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.

"It wouldn't be anywhere near what I value him at if he was for sale, but he is not for sale."

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is clearly a keen admirer of Modric having authorised the original offer for the player when his team were managerless.

The Russian, who has now installed Andre Villas-Boas as manager, could back another Chelsea offer, but Redknapp insists such a move would be pointless.

"There is nowhere to go with it really. That's the end of it. The chairman has made his stance. He is not for sale and that's it," the 64-year-old added.

When asked whether a bid of £30million may change the club's stance, Redknapp said: "I don't think so. I honestly value him way in excess of that."

Modric has always said he will not submit a formal transfer request to force through a move despite his claim that Levy has promised to let him languish in the reserves if he continues to oppose the club's stance.

When asked whether a transfer request would lead to Modric leaving, Redknapp replied: "I wouldn't see it having any effect on the situation."

Redknapp has praised the 25-year-old's professional attitude since he returned to training last week and thinks he would not hand in a transfer request anyway.

"He is not a trouble-maker in any way shape or form," Redknapp said.

"He has come in, trained great today. That's how he is. He will just get on with his job and we will just wait and see what happens. We really don't want to lose him because he is a key player for us."

Modric will board Spurs' plane to South Africa tomorrow where they will play three matches in a tournament with the Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates.

"He will be going to South Africa, for sure. He is the last lad in the world that would ever cause a problem. You would never meet a nicer boy. He has not got it in him to be nasty," added Redknapp.

"There are players who would want to go who would be a real problem. I have come across many players who, if they wanted to go somewhere, then they would kick up and make sure he got away, but that's just not in his nature."

Club captain Ledley King will miss the trip to South Africa after having a knee operation last night.

Spurs expect the defender, who played just nine times last season due to a groin injury, to be fit for the new season.

Comments