Liverpool defender Martin Kelly ruled out until 'next year'
Liverpool defender Martin Kelly has ruled himself out of action until the new year after injuring his knee.
The full-back limped off late in yesterday's 2-1 defeat at home to Manchester United after falling awkwardly and appearing to twist his right leg.
Liverpool have yet to confirm the extent of the problem but Kelly himself does not expect to be back for at least three months.
"What I can say is its not the worst injury I've had, and for sure I'll be fighting for my place next year when I'm back fitter and stronger!" he wrote on Twitter.
Manager Brendan Rodgers' injury concerns do not end there with centre-back Daniel Agger awaiting the results of a scan on suspected medial ligament damage in his left knee, while forward Fabio Borini has a bruised foot and swollen ankle after the United game.
Latest in Sport
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.