Liverpool owner John W. Henry admits time was right to sell Luis Suarez to Barcelona
Liverpool set to continue summer spending with Loic Remy signing
Friday 25 July 2014
Liverpool owner John W. Henry believes the time was right to part ways with Luis Suarez after the Uruguayan’s £75m switch to Barcelona.
The former Ajax striker moved to La Liga despite receiving a four-month ban from all football activities from Fifa after appearing to bite Italian Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil.
The Reds, with increased financial muscle after offloading the 27-year-old, have since secured the services of Adam Lallana, Emre Can, Lazar Markovic and Rickie Lambert while Loic Remy’s £8.5m move from Queens Park Rangers is pending a medical.
“It was time for Luis and time for the club to make a break,” Henry said.
“He brought so much to the club but we brought a lot to Luis. I thought we needed more depth; last year we needed more depth, and we’re playing a lot more games this year with the Champions League. I think you will still see a very explosive Liverpool offense.”
The 64-year-old was speaking at Fenway Park, the home of his Boston Red Sox baseball franchise, and watched on as Brendan Rodgers’ side fell to a 1-0 pre-season defeat to Seria A side Roma.
Marco Borriello, who spent the tail end of last season on loan at West Ham United, scored the only goal of the game in front of a large American crowd.
Reports yesterday suggested that last season's Premier League runners-up were ready to push ahead with moves for Marco Reus and Dejan Lovren while Rodgers is also said to have rekindled his long-term interest in Chelsea full-back Ryan Bertrand.
Discussing Lallana, who cost Liverpool £23.6m, the former Swansea City manager was confidant he has spent wisely.
Read more: Suarez's Barcelona debut could be against Real Madrid
Liverpool 0-1 Roma - match report
Iago Aspas likens Suarez treatment to that of 'a murderer'
"For British players across the board there is always that premium and the value is always pushed up," he said this week.
"We paid what we thought he was worth and would not go higher.
"Listen, I spoke to enough people about him and have seen enough of him, and know enough people who had seen him and played with him to know he would be a great signing for us. I have no qualms about it. He is a great boy."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month