Liverpool unveil their 'Nou Camp'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Liverpool have unveiled plans for a £100m, 70,000-seater stadium in Stanley Park. New Anfield, similar to Barcelona's spectacular bowl-shaped Nou Camp stadium is being built on what has long been the neutral ground between Merseyside's two Premiership football clubs.

Liverpool have unveiled plans for a £100m, 70,000-seater stadium in Stanley Park. New Anfield, similar to Barcelona's spectacular bowl-shaped Nou Camp stadium is being built on what has long been the neutral ground between Merseyside's two Premiership football clubs.

Anfield residents have been given a preview of the new stadium which is to be built just a few hundred yards from their existing ground. The futuristic sportsdome's sweeping stands have been designed to offer unrestricted views for every fan as well as capturing the famous atmosphere of the old Kop. Fans will approach the ground via a walkway similar to Wembley Way.

The present Anfield stadium is likely to be demolished and the land given back for community use.

Rick Parry, Liverpool's chief executive, said the new ground will also be called Anfield. He added: "This isn't simply a new stadium for Liverpool Football Club, it is part of a wide-ranging regeneration package for the area. There is still a lot of work to be done. We need to look at transport, planning and detailed design."

Hotel developments and a range of new facilities are planned including a 2,000-space car park, train station and park and ride schemes.

But some residents are angry at the plans to build on parkland in the city. The Anfield councillor Joe Kenny called for a referendum on the plans and fellow councillor Kiron Reid said: "The vast majority of people are opposed to building on the park or expanding on this site. It also seems outstanding that they haven't done any work on transport strategy to end the misery caused by parking problems."

Sol Campbell requires an operation that will extend his anticipated absence from the Tottenham and England teams for up to six weeks after a scan revealed a torn muscle as well as a dislocated shoulder following his early exit from the Worthington Cup tie at Brentford on Tuesday.

The news confirms that Campbell has no chance of playing for England in the opening World Cup qualifiers against Germany and Finland in two weeks' time.

When the centre-back had his scan on Thursday, he was accompanied by his team-mate Darren Anderton, who was also given an X-ray on the groin muscle tear he sustained against Everton three weeks ago. It confirmed the midfielder should make a comeback sometime next month - too late for the England games though he is now back in light training.

John Hartson been given the chance to put his transfer uncertainties behind him and give Wales a World Cup boost.

The Wimbledon striker, who has at last hit form after months of injury problems, has been named in the Welsh squad for the World Cup double-header next month, at home to Norway on 7 October and away to Poland on 11 October.

The last time Hartson was called up by the Wales coach, Mark Hughes, was for the 2-1 defeat against Belarus earlier this month. But Hartson never got as far as the match in Minsk. Days before the squad left Cardiff, Hartson flew to Glasgow for transfer talks with Rangers. But the deal collapsed when he failed a medical, and Hartson was too distressed to to rejoin the squad.

Now Hartson seems to be firing on all cylinders, Hughes may well use him as a twin striker with Ryan Giggs for the two crucial World Cup ties.

Hughes has also taken the gamble of naming all the players who pulled out of the last squad with injuries, in the hope that they will have recovered in time to join up with his squad.

Mark Delaney, Dean Saunders, Matthew Jones, Mark Pembridge and Kit Symons have all been included, as well as Hartson, for matches where Wales need to pick up at least three points.

Blackburn Rovers are involved in a furious row withSt-Etienne over their decision to pull out of a £6m deal for Lucien Mettomo.

The French club have given their transfer-seeking centre half a "thorough medical" on the knee problem that caused the Cameroon's dream deal to collapse. St-Etienne are ready to send their report to Blackburn - and possibly to Fifa, the sport's world governing body - as they are now left with a question mark over their major asset.

Mettomo is now going to be offered to other English clubs, but St-Etienne know they are unlikely to get their asking fee - and he cannot stay with them after criticism from the club's coach, Robert Nouzaret.

The flare-up between the clubs has embarrassed Rovers manager, Graeme Souness. St-Etienne claim there is nothing wrong with Mettomo.

But Souness said: "The doctors [in England] were not satisfied with the medical. If they are not sure, it's out of my hands. It's a lot of money to spend if you're not sure."

Comments