Louis Saha told he can leave Sunderland
Frenchman has failed to make impact at Stadium of Light
Thursday 17 January 2013
Striker Louis Saha has been told he is free to leave Sunderland.
The 34-year-old Frenchman arrived on a one-year deal in the summer after being released by Tottenham but has failed to make an impact at the Stadium of Light.
Manager Martin O'Neill told the Shields Gazette: "We have told Louis he is free to speak to other clubs and to leave if he can fix himself up somewhere.
"We have come to an agreement whereby we will cancel the remainder of his contract, shake hands and go our separate ways."
O'Neill added that a move to South Africa was a possibility for the former Fulham, Manchester United and Everton striker.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Arsenal transfer news: Could Arsene Wenger move for Danny Welbeck, Loic Remy or Edinson Cavani after Olivier Giroud's injury?
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Champions League draw: When is it and who could Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City face in the group stage?
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage