Portsmouth's striker Lomana LuaLua is prepared to fight the imposition of an additional ban after he was charged with misconduct by the Football Association.
The FA acted after LuaLua was reported by the referee Andy D'Urso for refusing to leave the pitch after being shown a red card for appearing to head-butt Andy Todd in Portsmouth's 1-0 home defeat to Blackburn in the Premiership on Saturday.
He is set to receive a three-match suspension for the dismissal but the FA could decide to extend the ban, possibly by a further two games, as a result of his conduct.
However, the former Newcastle striker is determined to defend himself against that.
"I do not think I deserve a longer suspension," he said. "I admit I deserved a red card, but I was not going back on to the pitch to fight - I wanted to tell the referee that the Blackburn player had thrown a punch.
"I felt if I had been sent off then he should be too. Being suspended for three games is bad enough but five is over the top." His case will be dealt with by the FA's disciplinary committee next Tuesday.
The Everton manager David Moyes has expressed surprise at the FA's decision to charge the club with failing to control their players during the 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough on Sunday. The club have a fortnight to respond to the charge, which relates to a mêlée involving several players from both sides.
The referee Dermot Gallagher chose not to punish anyone at the time but the FA decided action was necessary after studying video evidence.
Moyes said: "I'm surprised. I'd like to know the actual individual who called the charge, because if there is one they have no understanding of football. It was just a challenge."Reuse content