Luis Suarez's dive against Stoke unacceptable, says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool manager pulls no punches after star forward admitted he ‘fell’ to win penalty
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has taken a calculated risk with this season's single world-class Anfield player, Luis Suarez, by censuring and disciplining him after the striker admitted diving.
Suarez will not be subject to disciplinary action from the Football Association, having said he dived in Liverpool's goalless home draw with Stoke City in October. But Rodgers declared his conduct "unacceptable" and "wrong".
Suarez was labelled "an embarrassment" by Stoke manager Tony Pulis after going to ground in an attempt to win a penalty in the game, prompting Rodgers at the time to declare that his forward was the victim of prejudice.
Suarez told Argentinian media on Wednesday that: "I was accused of falling inside the box in a match and it's true I did it that time, because we were drawing against Stoke at home and we needed anything to win it."
Suarez's comments made it clear that he is unhappy about the media reaction to him but Rodgers still dealt out some unexpected public censure to a player whom he and his predecessor Kenny Dalglish have dared not risk alienating, such is his importance to the team.
"I've seen the comments and I think it is wrong," Rodgers said. "Certainly from our perspective it is unacceptable. It is not something we advocate here.
"Our ethics are correct. I've spoken to Luis and he is totally understanding, and knows where I'm coming from as manager of the club. This is a big club and whatever people do say goes around the world, and what was said was wrong and not acceptable – he takes that and we move on.
"There is no one bigger than the club or the club's image. The comments, from our point of view as a club, are not what we would want to hear. This is something which was obviously wrong and is not something we associate with as a club of this standing."
Pulis resisted any temptation to complain about the penalty Suarez won in Liverpool's 3-1 defeat at the Britannia Stadium on Boxing Day night, but Rodgers said after the contentious home game incident: "Whatever Luis does, there will always be a problem, whether it's media or referees." Suarez was trenchantly defended by Rodgers after the handball goal incident at Mansfield in the FA Cup third round last week.
Rodgers said he and Suarez had amicably discussed the striker's comments. "You normally find players, when their careers are finished, admit to all these kind of things – he just happened to be honest in the middle of his career," the manager said.
"My main concern is the team. As long as it doesn't affect our chances – we've only had one penalty this year anyway – but as long as it doesn't damage our prospects in the future, that is the most important issue. Anything that is detrimental towards that is something I don't take too lightly."
Rodgers defended the way he has been managing the Suarez controversies this season. "He is a real topic of conversation, football and media-wise, and as a manager my responsibility and leadership I have to make comment when I have to," he said.
Latest in Sport
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
Italy come here with pretty much a full strength squad and can be very relaxed about their World Cup...
by Gareth Purnell
15 June 2013 02:01 AM
Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
Chelsea go for £10m Frenchman Geoffrey Kondogbia
The best and worst Premier League kits for the 2013/14 season
Arsenal in pole position to sign Gonzalo Higuain as Juventus turn their attention to Carlos Tevez
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria