Magpies move in with £5m offer for Bellamy

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Newcastle United are making a £5m move for Craig Bellamy, but face a three-way fight for the player's signature with Tottenham Hotspur and Coventry City.

Newcastle United are making a £5m move for Craig Bellamy, but face a three-way fight for the player's signature with Tottenham Hotspur and Coventry City.

Bobby Robson, the Magpies' manager, hopes to have his offer accepted quickly for the Welsh international, who is keen to play in the Premiership. Norwich will take the biggest offer, leaving the final decision on the move to the player. Tottenham have made public their interest in the 21-year-old striker, while Coventry have joined the bidding in an effort to replace Robbie Keane.

Newcastle are facing a fight to keep their French left-back Didier Domi after Valencia made a £4m move for him. The top target for the European Cup runners-up had been Christian Ziege, but he now appears set to join Liverpool from Middlesbrough instead. One snag for the deal is Newcastle's £6m valuation of Domi.

David O'Leary has confirmed his interest in the Liverpool defender Dominic Matteo. The Leeds United manager said that he hopes to finalise a deal for the 26-year-old in the next two days.

Although O'Leary did not state if a fee had been agreed, the player is rated at around £4m and the Elland Road manager is hopeful of having Matteo in his squad for Saturday's visit by Everton.

Kevin Pressman's record-breaking red card could have cost him his place at Sheffield Wednesday, with Thomas Myhre set to sign for the club in a £500,000 deal.

Pressman faces a ban for his 13-second dismissal at Wolves and may not get back into Paul Jewell's side, with the Everton goalkeeper likely to jump at a permanent switch to Hillsborough after being sent out on loan to Birmingham City last season. Richard Cresswell has turned down a £800,000 move to Preston North End to stay at Wednesday.

Matthew Le Tissier is fit for Southampton's Premiership opener at Derby on Saturday. The 31-year-old was considered a major doubt for the game at Pride Park after limping out of last weekend's 2-1 friendly defeat to Real Sociedad with a calf injury. But the former England midfielder, who has only just recovered from surgery on a hernia problem, said yesterday that that the injury is not as bad as was first feared.

The Spanish international striker Alfonso finally became a Barcelona player yesterday after weeks of negotiations. A day after passing his medical test, Alfonso signed a four-year contract with a buy-out clause of 15bn pesetas (£55m).

Zinedine Zidane has said he finds the transfer fees paid recently by Europe's biggest clubs "ridiculous". The France and Juventus playmaker said: "It's meaningless. When I hear in my own case people talk about 500-600million francs (£47-60m), I find this ridiculous. There's no limits anymore."

Comments