Manchester City 6 Arsenal 3: Jack Wilshere could miss Chelsea match after gesture towards City fans
Television camera's picked up Wilshere gesturing towards supporters midway through the second half of Arsenal's heavy defeat
Saturday 14 December 2013
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is likely to face disciplinary action after being pictured raising his middle finger toward Manchester City's fans during his team's 6-3 loss in the English Premier League.
Television cameras spotted the England international making the gesture in the 69th minute of Saturday's match at Etihad Stadium, when Arsenal was down 4-2.
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez received a one-match ban for the same offense during a league game at Fulham in December 2011.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he didn't see Wilshere's gesture but added "if he did it, we will have to accept it."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account