Manchester City fans coming 'out of the woodwork' says Rio Ferdinand
Friday 23 March 2012
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is eager to win the Premier League title - if only to stop Manchester City's fans from coming "out of the woodwork".
The Manchester clubs are locked in a battle for the trophy with United leading their cross-city rivals by a single point with nine games remaining.
City have not won a top-flight crown since 1968 and, after lifting the FA Cup last term, Ferdinand believes the blue half of Manchester has become more evident.
"Walking around in town, you see more and more blue shirts than you probably ever would have seen over the last 10 years," he told BBC Sport.
"Success sometimes brings people out of the woodwork.
"So fingers crossed we can delay that and make sure that we get this title sewn up this season."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent