Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini calm ahead of Premier League debut against Newcastle
The Chilean will make his bow tonight
Monday 19 August 2013
Manuel Pellegrini claims not to feel any nerves as he prepares for his competitive bow as Manchester City manager.
The laid-back Chilean officially launches his career in England as City host Newcastle in their opening match of the new Barclays Premier League season tonight.
The 59-year-old faces the daunting challenge of having to win multiple trophies, and in style, to meet the lofty expectations of the club's hierarchy.
Yet it is not a task that fazes him.
When asked if he was nervous, Pellegrini said: "No, absolutely not. I have a very good squad so I am not nervous."
City's chief executive Ferran Soriano stated boldly over the summer that the club want to win five trophies in the next five seasons.
Pellegrini's predecessor Roberto Mancini was sacked at the end of last season just a year after winning the Premier League.
But Pellegrini is determined to take City's demands in his stride and feels he has dealt with plenty of difficult situations in the past.
"I have worked in a lot of different leagues, very difficult leagues," he said.
"To manage River Plate in Argentina is not easy, to manage Real Madrid in Spain is not easy.
"I am very excited about my new job but I don't want to compare.
"They are all very good leagues and I try to always give my best."
Mancini's sacking was controversial but Pellegrini's calm confidence - coupled with the spending of almost £90million on four new players - has done much to win over fans.
Pellegrini is confident he has the squad at his disposal to start challenging for trophies immediately.
He said: "For me the Champions League is very, very important but so is the Premier League.
"I will try to play for the four - FA Cup, Capital One Cup, Champions League and Premier League, to try to win them all.
"We have a strong squad to try to win it all."
Pellegrini even joked that he has already set off on the winning trail after City won the Premier League-sanctioned tournament in Hong Kong last month.
He said: "We just need four more - we won the Asia Trophy!
"No, I think we will try to do our best in all the competitions and when we finish the year we will see what happens with how many trophies we have won."
Competition for places in the City squad has intensified and there has been speculation over the future of midfielder Gareth Barry, who is now in the final year of his contract.
Pellegrini said: "In the position of Gareth we have also (Jack) Rodwell, (Javi) Garcia, Fernandinho and Yaya Toure.
"I spoke with Gareth. He wants to stay here and he does not have any problems staying here to fight for his position like any other player in the squad.
"If he wants to go because has better options - it depends on what he wants to do."
Latest in Sport
Steven Gerrard tribute match: March 29 pencilled in for star studded game involving Jamie Carragher
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut