Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini 'did not agree' with international selection of Vincent Kompany
Manager furious with call up for his captain
Thursday 28 March 2013
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has hit out at Belgium counterpart Marc Wilmots for selecting captain Vincent Kompany for international duty this week.
Kompany made his first competitive appearance in eight weeks when he featured in his country's World Cup qualifier against Macedonia on Tuesday.
The 26-year-old defender had been sidelined since suffering a calf injury in the FA Cup fourth-round win at Stoke on January 26 and had a potential comeback date put back several times.
That did not prevent him being called up by Belgium and although the national skipper did not play in last Friday's game in Macedonia, he played all 90 minutes of the return fixture in Brussels.
Mancini said: "He didn't play for us for 60 days and then he went to play for the Belgium team.
"I did not agree with this. I think sometimes some managers of national teams should understand the situation.
"This player plays for the club and the club, every month, pay his salary.
"I don't know if he is okay or not. One week before the international break he was not fit to play for us.
"I didn't see Vinny yesterday. I will see him today."
Mancini hopes Kompany will be fit to return for his side in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium.
Mancini, speaking at a press conference to preview the game, added that striker Sergio Aguero is fit and could make his comeback.
The 24-year-old has missed City's last three games with a knee injury.
He returned to Argentina for treatment during his lay-off, and linked up with the national squad, but did not play and has been back training at Carrington for the past week.
Mancini said: "Sergio is okay. I think he could be ready for Saturday."
Mancini was also asked about the latest speculation concerning his own future and that of midfield talisman Yaya Toure.
The Italian has grown used to recurring stories linking him with other clubs or suggesting the City hierarchy could bring his tenure to a premature end.
A new report has claimed Monaco - who it was claimed made an approach last season - are again preparing to move for the 48-year-old as a potential replacement for Claudio Ranieri.
Mancini said: "No. Monaco, for me, are one of the best (teams) in France now. Now they are in the second division.
"They have a good manager and I stay here for a long time, like Yaya."
Speculation over Toure has arisen after his agent expressed frustration about what he sees as a delay to discussions over a new contract.
But 29-year-old Toure has more than two years left on his current contract and Mancini feels there is enough time to resolve the issue.
Mancini said: "Yaya will stay here for a long time. Yaya is one of the best players in the world and he will stay here for another three, four, five (years), I don't know. A long time."
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut