Manchester United make £62.5m bid for Ribery
Tuesday 05 May 2009
Manchester United have made a bid of around £62.5m for Bayern Munich midfielder Franck Ribery according to reports.
The Guardian reported this morning that sources in Munich confirmed that a bid had been received for the French international, whose excellent form this season has seen him linked with various clubs.
The German champions have already begun to consider a replacement for the Frenchman, with Bayern director Uli Hoeness hinting that he could sign Werder Bremen forward Diego this summer.
Hoeness told Bild: "If Ribery does go then Diego will be a player that we will certainly be looking to sign."
Details of the move will heighten expectations that Cristiano Ronaldo is set to exit Old Trafford. Real Madrid have been pursuing the Portuguese winger since last summer.
The deal for Ribery would smash the world transfer record of £44m paid by Real Madrid for Zinedine Zidane in 2001.
Latest in Sport
Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
CM Punk 'never ever ever' returning to WWE (so he probably will)
Tottenham and Arsenal in battle for Douglas Costa? Brazil forward opens up Shakhtar Donetsk exit possibility
Manchester United transfer news: Completed summer deals
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup top scorer completes £63m move
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains