Manchester United play down Chris Smalling illness
Friday 30 December 2011
Sir Alex Ferguson today insisted that Chris Smalling will be fit to play next week following reports the defender faced a long lay off with glandular fever.
Ferguson said Smalling was suffering from tonsillitis and will play against Newcastle next Wednesday or Manchester City the following Sunday.
"I have seen the reports," Ferguson said. "They are well wide of the mark. He has tonsillitis."
Ferguson also revealed that he could have Rio Ferdinand and Phil Jones available for tomorrow's clash against Blackburn at Old Trafford.
There were claims this morning that Smalling, 22, could be out for up to three months which would have added to United's injury woes.
Looking further ahead, Ferguson said he sees Tottenham as one of the main challengers this season for the Premier League title.
"They are playing the best football in the country," he said.
"They could win it on this form."
And the United manager, who celebrates his 70th birthday tomorrow, said the club will look at exercising their option on Dimitar Berbatov's contract in March.
The Bulgarian has just six months left on his current deal, but there is a clause which means United can offer an extra year.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict