Manchester United refused Costa trial
Thursday 25 June 2009
A proposed trial at Manchester United for Douglas Costa will not go ahead according to reports today.
Manchester United had been keen to take a closer look at the 18-year-old Brazilian before parting with the £18m it will take to secure his services.
But today his club, Gremio, have rejected the idea, insisting the attacking midfielder, dubbed 'the new Ronaldinho' is too good to undertake such a proposal.
"We have said to them [Manchester United] that this will not happen," said Gremio's president, Duda Kroeff. "Douglas is not at the stage where he would go through such a situation."
Alex Ferguson is desperate to bolster his attacking options with the departures of Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo this summer, and has earmarked the Brazilian youngster as a potential addition to his squad.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Latest in Sport
Jagielka: Moyes needs to bring in his own players
United’s ambitious transfer plans at risk from top-four failure
English clubs ditch Heineken Cup - confirming they will not take part in any ERC run competition in 2014-15
Brazil World Cup 2014 draw: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration