Manchester United reveal competition for Nick Powell's signature
Wednesday 25 July 2012
Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Manchester United had to move quickly to beat off competition for teenage midfielder Nick Powell from their Barclays Premier League rivals.
United formally signed the 18-year-old from Crewe on July 1, but had put the deal in place some time earlier fearing a dazzling display in the League Two play-off final at Wembley might prompt other suitors to join to fight to sign him.
Ferguson told http://www.manutd.com: "We thought that if we waited until the play-offs, the secret would be out, so to speak. All the TV cameras would be focussed on him and it might alert a few other clubs.
"Mind you, there were already quite a few interested. As well as Arsenal and Chelsea, we knew Manchester City were keeping tabs on him as well, so I phoned [Crewe director of football] Dario Gradi, told him we were keen and we started negotiating.
"We sorted the deal with the chairman and agreed we'd leave it until after the play-off finals.
"It was all in place a good 10 days beforehand. Nick's agent told Nick after the match and then he came up to my house the next day and we got the deal done."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success